Last Updated: January 14, 2022
The NPD Group, L.P., is a committed leader in market research and we are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your information. This Privacy Notice describes the policies and practices of The NPD Group, L.P., with its principal place of business located at 900 West Shore Road, Port Washington, New York 11050, U.S.A., and its affiliates (“NPD”), regarding personal information collected and used in connecting to or using a website managed by NPD (each, a “Website”), or as a current or potential NPD client or service provider. This Privacy Notice does not apply to any website managed by NPD for the collection of consumer survey responses or other consumer information, or to the processing of personal data governed by the EU General Data Protection Regulation, or to personal information shared by you with, or collected by, other companies or organizations whose websites may be accessed from an NPD Website. Please read this Privacy Notice carefully. If you do not agree with our Privacy Notice, please do not use the Website. By accessing or using the Website, you agree to this Privacy Notice. We recognize that information privacy is an ongoing responsibility, and so we will, from time to time, update this Privacy Notice (see “Changes and Updates to the Privacy Notice”). Your continued use of the Website after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Privacy Notice periodically for updates.
- What personal information we collect
- How we protect your personal information
- How we use your personal information
- How we share your personal information
- How long your personal information is kept
- Further processing
- Use of NPD Websites
- Cookies and web beacons
- How to manage cookies
- Do not track requests
- Updating your personal information and your rights
- Changes and updates to the Privacy Notice
- Special information for California Consumers
What personal information we collect
NPD collects certain information about visitors to its Websites, and about its current and potential clients and service providers. This information consists of the kinds of information that can be found on a business card: first name, last name, job title, employer name, work address, work email, and work phone number. This personal information is required to enter into a contract with you (such as in anticipation of a services agreement) or to perform a contract with you (such as to provide services at your request), and failure to provide any information may result in our inability to provide requested services or products.
We also collect information automatically and store it in log files (see “Use of NPD Websites” and “Cookies and Web Beacons“). We do not want, or knowingly attempt to solicit or receive, information from children under the age of 18.
How we protect your personal information
NPD has implemented appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect personal information. We update and test our security technology on an ongoing basis. We restrict access to your personal information to those employees who need to know the information. In addition, we train our employees about the importance of confidentiality and maintaining the privacy and security of your information. We commit to taking appropriate disciplinary measures to enforce our employees’ privacy responsibilities.
How we use your personal information
The purposes for processing your personal information are to:
- Carry out NPD’s obligations under any contracts between you or a company you represent, and NPD, including by providing services, products and after-sales support;
- Take steps to enter into a contract at your request, such as in order to fulfill your request to provide you with more detailed and relevant NPD communications or information in a manner other than through the Website (e.g., by email) after you have completed an online form and provided contact information.
- Comply with a relevant legal obligation, such as keeping accounting records;
- Use service provider, client and Website user data to conduct and develop our business activities with them and with others while limiting the use of their personal information to purposes that support the conduct and development of our business. Those purposes include:
- Administering Websites, including for troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and statistical purposes;
- Deploying resources aimed at keeping the Websites safe and secure;
- Displaying content on the Websites in a manner most effective for you and your device;
- Operating, evaluating, maintaining, improving and developing the Website (including by monitoring and analyzing trends, access to, and use of the Website and for advertising and marketing);
- Evaluating, improving and developing our products and services generally;
- Customizing our Website to users’ needs;
- Corresponding with users to resolve their queries or complaints;
- Protecting and ensuring the security of the Websites, NPD confidential and proprietary information, and NPD employees;
- Managing, protecting against and investigating fraud, risk exposure, claims and other liabilities, including but not limited to violation of our contract terms or laws or regulations;
- Sharing your personal information with third parties in connection with potential or actual sale of our company or any of our assets, or those of any affiliated company, in which case personal information held by us about our users may be one of the transferred assets;
- Providing information on the Websites concerning NPD-related news, events, activities and other services;
- Giving you the opportunity to participate in interactive features of the Website and/or for advertising below.
How we share your personal information
Your personal information will be treated as strictly confidential, and we do not sell your personal information. We may share your personal information with:
- Affiliates – We are part of the global NPD Group, and from time to time it will be necessary to share your personal information with our corporate affiliates or subsidiaries; however, if we do so, their use and disclosure of your personal information will be subject to this Notice.
- Service Providers – We may also disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, technology and other service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf, or are engaged with us. For example, we use service providers to assist us in providing information, products or services to you, in conducting and managing our business, or in managing and improving our products, services or the Website. These service providers are allowed to access and use the information we make available to them only as needed to perform their functions and for no other purposes, subject to appropriate contractual restrictions and security measures.
- Business Transfers – If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process – We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a legal proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- To Protect Us and Others – We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of this Privacy Notice, or as evidence in litigation in which NPD is involved.
NPD reserves the right to share any information that you provide which is not deemed personal information or is not otherwise subject to contractual restrictions.
How long your personal information is kept
We keep your personal information for as long as there is a continuing need to keep it. This need will be assessed on a regular basis and data that is no longer needed will be deleted.
If you have accessed NPD’s Website on behalf of a person or entity with whom NPD has a business relationship, your personal information will not be retained longer than reasonably necessary to investigate and respond to any actual or potential legal claims between NPD and such entity in light of the relevant statute of limitation.
If you have completed a form on NPD’s Website to receive information from NPD, your personal information will be kept while you are receiving such information and for five years after you unsubscribe to such information (or such shorter period as may be required by applicable law) to ensure we do not re-contact you and in order to defend us against legal claims.
We retain personal information for other periods of time where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, tax and accounting requirements, or if required to do so by a legal process, legal authority, or other governmental entity having authority to make the request, for so long as required.
If we wish to use your personal information for a new purpose not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and when required, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
Use of NPD Websites
Cookies and web beacons
Our Websites use technologies that enhance user friendliness and engagement, to keep the Websites operating as smoothly as possible and to provide web services and functionalities for each visitor. Examples of these technologies are cookies, pixel tags, local storage and scripts (hereinafter collectively referred to as “cookies”). Cookies are used for a variety of purposes. For example, they calculate web statistics, provide online advertising and they improve visitor’s experience on our Websites. As your privacy is important to us, we would like to inform you about which cookies are used on our Websites, as well as why we use them.
We may use the following types of cookies on our Websites:
Strictly Necessary cookies
These cookies are necessary for the Website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. These cookies are set upon accessing our Websites, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the Website may not work then. For a list of Strictly Necessary Cookies used on our Website, please click on the Cookie Settings button on our Website.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources, so we can measure and improve the performance of our Websites. They help us know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the Website. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you have visited our Website. For a list of Performance Cookies used on our Website, please click on the Cookie Settings button on our Website.
These cookies allow the provision of enhanced functionality and personalization, such as videos and live chats. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, then some or all of these functionalities may not function properly. For a list of Functional Cookies used on our Website, please click on the Cookie Settings button on our Website.
These cookies are set through our Websites by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant ads on other sites. They work by uniquely identifying your browser and device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will not experience targeted advertising across different websites. For a list of Targeting Cookies used on our Website, please click on the Cookie Settings button on our Website.
We or our third-party advertising partners also may use collected information to establish connections among related web browsers and devices (such as smartphones, tablets, computers, and TVs) for targeted advertising, analytics, attribution, and reporting purposes. These third parties may match your browsers or devices if you log into the same online service on multiple devices or if your devices share similar attributes that support an inference that they are used by the same person or household. This means that information about your activity on Websites or apps on your current browser or device may be combined with information collected from your other browsers or devices.
How to manage cookies
If you do not want our Websites to store cookies on your device, you can change your browser settings so that you receive a warning before certain cookies are stored. You can also choose to disallow Performance, Functional, and/or Targeting Cookies by clicking on the Cookie Settings button on the Website and choosing the “Inactive” setting for one or more of these categories of cookies. You can also adjust your settings so that your browser refuses most of our cookies or only certain cookies from third parties. You can also withdraw your consent to cookies by deleting the cookies that have already been stored or by revisiting the Cookie Settings button on the Website and making a different choice for one or more of the categories of cookies used.
Please be aware that if you do not want to accept any cookies, you will be able to access our Websites but we cannot guarantee that they will function properly. It may be that several functions will be unavailable to you or that you will even be unable to view certain parts of the Websites.
Please note that you will have to change your settings for each browser and device you use. Moreover, such methods will not work with respect to certain non-cookie online tracking technologies.
The procedures for changing your browser for cookies differ from browser to browser. If necessary, use the help function on your browser or click on one of the links below to go directly to the user manual for your browser.
There are also software products available that can manage cookies for you. You can also use www.ghostery.com to accept or refuse each cookie used on our Websites.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage or delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Do not track requests
NPD does not track Website visitors when they cross to third party Websites, and NPD does not provide targeted advertising to such visitors, and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals.
Updating your personal information and your rights
You can always update your personal information or contact us with questions by clicking here. You may request that we stop processing your personal information for direct marketing (including profiling) purposes by clicking on the available “unsubscribe” link.
Changes and updates to the Privacy Notice
This Notice is current as of the Last Updated date set forth above. We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Privacy Notice on our Website. If we make any material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you here, by sending you an email at the address you have provided, or by means of a posting a notice on the Website home page prior to the change becoming effective.
Special information for California Consumers
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requires NPD to provide California consumers with the following information about how we process their personal information and the rights available to them with respect to their information.
Categories of Personal Information that We Collect, Disclose, and Sell
The categories of personal information about California consumers that we have collected and disclosed in the preceding 12 months for a business purpose are as follows:
|NAME, CONTACT INFORMATION AND IDENTIFIERS: name, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address or other similar identifiers.|
|EMPLOYMENT HISTORY: professional or employment-related information including, but not limited to, job title, employer name, work address, work email, and work phone number.|
|USAGE DATA: internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, information regarding a consumer’s interaction with the Websites.|
We do not sell information related to the categories listed above.
Categories of Sources of Personal Information
- From you, directly and indirectly as described above
Purposes for Collecting and Selling Personal Information
We describe how we use your personal information above, please see, How we use your personal information.
Categories of Third Parties with Which Personal Information is Shared
- Business Transfers
- In Response To Legal Process
- To Protect Us And Others
For further information, please see How we share your personal information.
California Consumer Rights
You have the right to make the following requests, at no charge, up to twice every 12 months:
- Request a copy of the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you in the prior 12 months.
- Request deletion of your personal information that we have collected about you, subject to certain exemptions.
- Request that we disclose what personal information we collect, use and sell.
- Opt-out of the sale of your personal information. To exercise your opt-out rights, please visit our Do-Not-Sell page here. If you are a member of:
Submitting Requests. You can submit requests for access to and deletion of your information online by filling our Request Forms here, or by contacting us at 833-775-0019 (toll free). All requests must be verifiable in accordance with the CCPA.
Authorized Agent. Authorized agents may initiate a request on behalf of a consumer if the consumer has provided the agent signed written permission. Authorized agents will be required to provide proof of this signed written permission to act on the consumer’s behalf. We may also require that the consumer directly verify his/her/their identity with us and verify the authorized agent’s authority (for example, by confirming with us that the consumer provided the authorized agent permission to do so).
Discrimination. We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your CCPA rights.