- Understand your brand performance versus competitors, including majors, grocers or warehouse clubs, regional retailers, and others within your exact retail footprint
- Uncover new business opportunities among select demographic cohorts, such as Millennials, Hispanics, and Baby Boomers
- Determine effectiveness of your discount/rewards program in an effort to grow your loyal customer base
- Identify brand switchers and where else they are purchasing fuel
- Understand your proportion of customers who cross purchase, buying gas and also making a c-store purchase
- Benchmark and monitor marketing campaigns, promotions, or re-imaging of stations
- Explore consumers’ perceptions pertaining to fuel quality and brand trust
- Brand share
- Gasoline consumption tracking: average number of visits and gallons
- Cross-purchasing behavior by brand
- Consumer reasons for brand selection
- Fuel quality perceptions
- Payment methods — including mobile payments
- Other services used, such as convenience store, car wash, etc.
- Consumer and vehicle demographics
Motor Fuels Index is a syndicated service supported by a group of NPD clients. It is a monthly online survey of U.S. consumer purchasing of motor fuels/gasoline. Data comes from NPD’s proprietary online panel, which is representative of the U.S. adult population. Each month, over 14,000 individuals 18+ answer questions regarding their last fuel purchase. Approximately 160,000 Motor Fuels Index surveys are completed per year.