Say It Isn’t So. The “Murse” Is Back.
Marshal Cohen, Chief Industry Advisor ;
While many of us may have noticed others might have not, recently men have been quietly carrying around what women have been addicted to for decades – a bag for their essential items. Men have been silently learning just how important it is to have a bag to carry their “stuff.” “Stuff” such as electronics, chargers, headphones, glasses, grooming tools and products, and even good old fashioned books. And just think about the practical side of this. Men’s clothing has gotten tighter again. Now where do men put those keys or phone?
With this change in fashion and lifestyle, men now do need to carry a bag. The question for most men is just what type. The clutch is growing in popularity in Europe and Asia again but here in the states the European designers are providing a more commercial version with smaller over the shoulder bags and messenger styles. The NPD Group, Inc. Consumer Tracking Service reports that men’s handbags and totes are growing again, 3 percent from July 2012 – June 2013 vs. July 2011 – June 2012. Backpacks, which have been the most popular choice for the past few years, continue their growth spurt with 24 percent more dollars being spent from July 2012 – June 2013 vs. July 2011 vs. June 2012.
So what does all this mean? With more and more devices and tools to lug around in order keep up their image, men are taking a page out of the women’s play book and gravitating to the bag. The real question is going to be just what type of bag will he carry. Might this be the quietly emerging gift to give that special guy this holiday?
So no longer is it just clothes he needs, it’s a bag too.
Related Blog Posts
- Holiday Shoppers Get the Best of Both Worlds – In-Store Spirit with Online Ease, Reports NPD
- Unit Sales of Voice-Enabled Speakers in the U.S. Were Up 36 Percent Heading Into the Holiday Season
- An Increasing Number of Restaurant Meals Are Being Eaten At Home Because That’s Where U.S. Consumers Want to Be
- Growth in Fragrance Sales Bodes Well for the Market During Holiday 2018, Reports NPD
- Hooking Them Young(er)
- Fashion Accessory Rebound Driven By Changing Consumer Priorities, Reports NPD