Draping: A Trend I Can Get Behind
Despite my countless attempts to master its technique, contouring and I did not become friends. Desperation, however, was soon relieved by a new trend. Draping, or creating proportion and natural dimension by using deeper and lighter shades of blush, would be the answer to my prayers.
Draping is gaining in popularity, as Google Trends’ data indicates that search volume for “makeup draping” has skyrocketed 809 percent since May 2016. As of last week, over 200 YouTube tutorials on the technique have been uploaded. Makeup draping is mentioned, on average, every minute online. Products embracing the trend are steadily becoming available as brands launch compacts with drapable blush colors included.
Draping could have an interesting impact on blush sales. In terms of makeup products most widely used by consumers, blush does not make the top five (a list dominated by products like mascara, foundation, and eye shadow) as the percentage of consumers using it has remained steady*. Time will tell if the popularity of the draping trend will spill over into significant sales for blush, but recent data appears to be favorable as blush sales in the prestige channel increased 4 percent in June 2016**.
Draping allows me to create the dimension I have long desired, and provides my face with a natural look that I love. Rather than strive for the complicated and overdone, I am content adding draping to my short, yet essential list of makeup tricks. Kim Kardashian, contour queen: Eat your heart out.
*The NPD Group, Inc. / 2016 Makeup In-Depth Consumer Report
**The NPD Group, Inc. / U.S. Prestige Beauty Total Measured Market, January-June 2016
Related Blog Posts
- Holiday Shoppers Get the Best of Both Worlds – In-Store Spirit with Online Ease, Reports NPD
- Unit Sales of Voice-Enabled Speakers in the U.S. Were Up 36 Percent Heading Into the Holiday Season
- An Increasing Number of Restaurant Meals Are Being Eaten At Home Because That’s Where U.S. Consumers Want to Be
- Growth in Fragrance Sales Bodes Well for the Market During Holiday 2018, Reports NPD
- Hooking Them Young(er)
- Fashion Accessory Rebound Driven By Changing Consumer Priorities, Reports NPD