For Canadian families, March Break is one of the most anticipated times of the year. As the frigid winter days slowly come to an end and the clocks “spring forward”, students and parents alike begin to look forward to a week of rest, relaxation, and play.
That said, perhaps it is somewhat unsurprising that – aside from the holiday season – March break is one of the most lucrative times of year for the Canadian toy industry. In 2015, there was an 18 per cent lift in sales the week of March Break compared to the week prior. With this year’s March Break in full swing, we can once again expect a similar surge in toy sales as parents make the annual pilgrimage to toy stores in an attempt to pick up items that will help make the week more enjoyable for kids of all ages.
The top selling toy categories during March Break in 2015 were Building Sets, Sport Toys, Preschool Toys, Games and Arts/Crafts. Furthermore, the most popular brands and licenses were Disney Frozen, Star Wars, Barbie, Minecraft and Nerf. The most popular price points were $20 and under, suggesting that parents do not invest as heavily in toys during March Break as they do for Birthdays, Christmas or other occasions.
This year the unseasonably warm weather is also expected to lead to an increase in sales of Outdoor Toys, such as Little Tikes outdoor playgrounds, Scooters/bikes, and Sports Toys. That said, new toys are often the most purchased during March Break. Some of the newest toys to hit the shelves this year are:
- Building Sets: Lego Ninjago, Lego Nexo Knights, new Star Wars building sets: Rey’s Speeder, Kylo Ren’s Command Shuttle
- Dolls: Ever After High Dragon Games Dolls, Monster High Great Scarrier Reef, new Disney Descendents, Shopkins Series 4
- Games: Minecraft Card Game, Spot It Shopkins Card Game, Star Wars Perplexus, Star Wars Bop It R2D2 Game, Pie Face Game, NHL 2015-16 Series Tin
- Action Figures: Star Wars The Force Awakens, DC Comics Superman vs Batman
- Crafts: Qixels, Bunchems, PlayDoh
- Outdoor: Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Scooter, Razor E100 Electric Scooter, Nerf Rival, Little Tikes Jr Jump N’ Slide
For parents looking to keep their kids occupied during the March Break holiday, there are also quite a few events going on at key toy retailers. Interested parents can check out the following links for more details:
Chapters Indigo: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/march-break-2015/events/
No matter what your family ends up doing this March Break, be sure to enjoy the time spent together. As is often the case with long anticipated holidays, they tend to go-by far too quickly!
Related Blog Posts
- Blended Retail Shopping is Heating Up the Holidays, NPD Says
- The best phone you cannot (easily) buy
- Aging U.S. Consumers Slow Down Food And Beverage Consumption Making It A Battle for Market Share
- The Open Office Trend – Peter Gibbons Was a Genius
- Nearly Half of U.S. Smartphone Owners Report Shopping on Their Device
- Unlocked Smartphone Users Are Spending More and Upgrading Less