Home-related products will continue their hot streak during the 2017 holiday season. Whether they are meant as gifts for others, or something consumers ‘give’ themselves this holiday season, there will be some definite stand-outs because of the added value they deliver.
- Multi-cookers are this season’s ‘must-have’ item for the home, appealing to consumers’ desire for convenience in creating healthy meals.
- Coffeemakers and cookware will continue to be a top holiday draw, driven by a renewed focus this year.
- Robotic and stick vacuums will clean up with innovation and powerful marketing messages around simplifying household chores.
- Portable beverageware makes a great stocking stuffer for just about anyone – a great simple gift to grab that can also have a personal flare with color and design selections.
- Impulse shopping will drive wins in barware, and anything tea-related.
- Oral care, garment care, and other personal care appliances, while personal and practical, will prove to be welcome gifts under the tree, or in a consumer’s own shopping bag.
Early season results reminded of the importance of extending holiday season marketing efforts beyond holiday gifting, also focusing on life needs that are at play during this time. Temperature changes in much of the U.S. drove heaters to be a growth leader. But, stick vacuums, multi-cookers, robotic vacuums, and single-serve coffeemakers were also top performers because they are holiday staples, beneficial in preparing for the needs of the season. Blending and processing products also came to the surface with strong growth – this could also be the beginning of some true holiday shopping as consumers began to take advantage of early promotions.
Today’s consumers are deeply invested in their home life, and they are willing to invest in making sure it is the best it can be, and sharing that desire with family and friends this holiday season.
Source: The NPD Group / Weekly Retail Tracking Service
CHESS 2019: Building for the Future...New Leaders, New Markets
Date: Tuesday, September 24 | 1:15pm CST
Location: The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus | Oak Brook, Illinois
Presentation: Driving Through the Retail Collision
Speaker: Marshal Cohen, Chief Industry Advisor – Retail, The NPD Group
Overview: The disruptions in the retail landscape have set the stage for a full-on retail collision. As the pace of change continues to accelerate, who will emerge as winners? Marshal Cohen explores the dynamics driving this pending collision of retailers, brands, consumers and technology to give you an unprecedented perspective from across the 20 industries NPD tracks. Understand how to identify the opportunities to drive growth for your business, both heading into and emerging from this collision.