Hot Home “Gifts” for Holiday 2017
Joe Derochowski, Executive Director, Industry Analyst ;
Home-related products will continue their hot streak during the 2017 holiday season. Whether they are meant as gifts for others, or something consumers ‘give’ themselves this holiday season, there will be some definite stand-outs because of the added value they deliver.
- Multi-cookers are this season’s ‘must-have’ item for the home, appealing to consumers’ desire for convenience in creating healthy meals.
- Coffeemakers and cookware will continue to be a top holiday draw, driven by a renewed focus this year.
- Robotic and stick vacuums will clean up with innovation and powerful marketing messages around simplifying household chores.
- Portable beverageware makes a great stocking stuffer for just about anyone – a great simple gift to grab that can also have a personal flare with color and design selections.
- Impulse shopping will drive wins in barware, and anything tea-related.
- Oral care, garment care, and other personal care appliances, while personal and practical, will prove to be welcome gifts under the tree, or in a consumer’s own shopping bag.
Early season results reminded of the importance of extending holiday season marketing efforts beyond holiday gifting, also focusing on life needs that are at play during this time. Temperature changes in much of the U.S. drove heaters to be a growth leader. But, stick vacuums, multi-cookers, robotic vacuums, and single-serve coffeemakers were also top performers because they are holiday staples, beneficial in preparing for the needs of the season. Blending and processing products also came to the surface with strong growth – this could also be the beginning of some true holiday shopping as consumers began to take advantage of early promotions.
Today’s consumers are deeply invested in their home life, and they are willing to invest in making sure it is the best it can be, and sharing that desire with family and friends this holiday season.
Source: The NPD Group / Weekly Retail Tracking Service
Related Blog Posts
The home industry continues to travel along its growth trajectory, but 2018 may look a little different, merely because 2017 results took such a dramatic leap forward.
Excitement and happiness are present for many of today’s back-to-college shoppers, but they also report feeling stressed, anxious, and overwhelmed, especially as moving day gets closer.
The general thinking around healthy-living has evolved. Instead of “going on a diet,” which is a short-term behavior, more people seem to be thinking of their diet in the broader sense and are focused on eating more healthfully, which for them is a longer-term proposition.
When many key general merchandise categories struggled to meet holiday sales of the previous year, let alone beat them, home products categories proved to be a key component of retail sales success during Holiday 2016.
- Top 10 Sellers | Entertainment Industry Trends
- Leisure Sneakers, Comfort-Oriented Styles Drive Footwear Sales
- 10 Trends You Should Know About Kids' Licensed Products
- Plant-based Proteins Aren't Just for Vegans Anymore
- New industry analysis on bra sizing uncovers full-figure opportunities