Home-related products will continue their hot streak during the 2017 holiday season. Whether they are meant as gifts for others, or something consumers ‘give’ themselves this holiday season, there will be some definite stand-outs because of the added value they deliver.
- Multi-cookers are this season’s ‘must-have’ item for the home, appealing to consumers’ desire for convenience in creating healthy meals.
- Coffeemakers and cookware will continue to be a top holiday draw, driven by a renewed focus this year.
- Robotic and stick vacuums will clean up with innovation and powerful marketing messages around simplifying household chores.
- Portable beverageware makes a great stocking stuffer for just about anyone – a great simple gift to grab that can also have a personal flare with color and design selections.
- Impulse shopping will drive wins in barware, and anything tea-related.
- Oral care, garment care, and other personal care appliances, while personal and practical, will prove to be welcome gifts under the tree, or in a consumer’s own shopping bag.
Early season results reminded of the importance of extending holiday season marketing efforts beyond holiday gifting, also focusing on life needs that are at play during this time. Temperature changes in much of the U.S. drove heaters to be a growth leader. But, stick vacuums, multi-cookers, robotic vacuums, and single-serve coffeemakers were also top performers because they are holiday staples, beneficial in preparing for the needs of the season. Blending and processing products also came to the surface with strong growth – this could also be the beginning of some true holiday shopping as consumers began to take advantage of early promotions.
Today’s consumers are deeply invested in their home life, and they are willing to invest in making sure it is the best it can be, and sharing that desire with family and friends this holiday season.
Source: The NPD Group / Weekly Retail Tracking Service
Home Improvement eRetailer Summit
Presentation: A Channel View
Presenter: Joe Derochowski, Vice President and Home and Home Improvement Industry Advisor
Date: March 16, 2021
Time: 11:00am ET
Description: This session focuses on data and analysis as they relate to home improvement online sales and product categories, pre-pandemic and now.
2020 in the Rearview Mirror – IHA Home + Housewares Connect Spring
Presenter: Joe Derochowski, Vice President, Industry Advisor, U.S. Home and Home Improvement
Date: Tuesday, March 16
Time: 11 – 12 p.m. CT
Description: Now that it’s all said and done, let’s get a look at how the home + housewares industry fared during the most disruptive year in a generation. Get a look at how the year ended, including a recap of category, channel, and holiday-specific outcomes.