Hot Home “Gifts” for Holiday 2017
Joe Derochowski, Executive Director, Industry Analyst ;
Home-related products will continue their hot streak during the 2017 holiday season. Whether they are meant as gifts for others, or something consumers ‘give’ themselves this holiday season, there will be some definite stand-outs because of the added value they deliver.
- Multi-cookers are this season’s ‘must-have’ item for the home, appealing to consumers’ desire for convenience in creating healthy meals.
- Coffeemakers and cookware will continue to be a top holiday draw, driven by a renewed focus this year.
- Robotic and stick vacuums will clean up with innovation and powerful marketing messages around simplifying household chores.
- Portable beverageware makes a great stocking stuffer for just about anyone – a great simple gift to grab that can also have a personal flare with color and design selections.
- Impulse shopping will drive wins in barware, and anything tea-related.
- Oral care, garment care, and other personal care appliances, while personal and practical, will prove to be welcome gifts under the tree, or in a consumer’s own shopping bag.
Early season results reminded of the importance of extending holiday season marketing efforts beyond holiday gifting, also focusing on life needs that are at play during this time. Temperature changes in much of the U.S. drove heaters to be a growth leader. But, stick vacuums, multi-cookers, robotic vacuums, and single-serve coffeemakers were also top performers because they are holiday staples, beneficial in preparing for the needs of the season. Blending and processing products also came to the surface with strong growth – this could also be the beginning of some true holiday shopping as consumers began to take advantage of early promotions.
Today’s consumers are deeply invested in their home life, and they are willing to invest in making sure it is the best it can be, and sharing that desire with family and friends this holiday season.
Source: The NPD Group / Weekly Retail Tracking Service
Related Blog Posts
The home industry continues to travel along its growth trajectory, but 2018 may look a little different, merely because 2017 results took such a dramatic leap forward.
We have been hearing the drumbeat for some time… We are in search of meaningful experiences and, as consumers, we are now comfortable trading our spending on material acquisition for the intangible.
Walking through the beauty departments of a wide variety of retailers this past week, I was overwhelmed by the choices available to me for gifting beauty.
The New York Times published a fascinating article a couple days ago on WowWee Brand’s Fingerling toy, one of the hottest toys of the holiday season.
- 2018 Could Be a Rocky Road for Retail
- The top 10 selling toys in the UK in the countdown to Christmas
- Who’s Buying Auto Parts Online — and Why?
- The NPD Group to Launch Subscription Video Tracking
- Beauty Outlook 2018
- Profiling the DIY Walmart Consumer