Video games, toys, and appliances capture larger share of holiday spend, according to NPD’s Checkout Tracking
More consumers opted to take advantage of big holiday deals on just one of the big retail days this year, rather than venturing out to stores on both Thanksgiving and Black Friday (those who shopped both declined from 46 percent in 2014, to 39 percent this year).
- Black Friday was clearly the dominant choice with 43 percent of shoppers hitting stores, with a slight boost from last year.
- Consumers choosing to only shop on Thanksgiving grew to 18 percent, from 14 percent last year – the largest increase of the three segments, despite many stores deciding not to open their doors on the holiday.
The majority of shoppers who did venture out on Thanksgiving or Black Friday went to just one store and they were done – fewer shoppers made their outing a multi-store event.
- Less than 15 percent of shoppers made Black Friday a marathon shopping day, hitting four or more stores – a decline from 20 percent last year.
Thanksgiving Day at 6:00 PM, and Black Friday at 12:00 PM were, once again, the peak spending hours this year. However, Thanksgiving Day did see a sharper decline following the 6:00 PM peak than last year.
- Best Buy won the early shopper, hitting their peak at 5:00 PM on Thanksgiving Day
- Walmart won the peak Thanksgiving Day shopper, hitting their peak in the key spending hour of 6:00 PM
- Macy’s won the peak Black Friday shopper, hitting their peak the key spending hour of 12:00 PM
What was purchased, and when?
- Technology captured the largest share of spend on Thanksgiving Day, but the average spend declined compared to 2014
- Apparel captured the largest share of spend on Black Friday, remaining consistent with last year, but Thanksgiving Day spend declined. Apparel was the most purchased category on both Thanksgiving and Black Friday.
- Video games, toys, and appliances all increased their share of spend on both Thanksgiving and Black Friday, compared to 2014.
Source: The NPD Group, Inc. / Checkout Tracking