NPD Will Report Weekly Point-of-sale Data for
Leading global information provider The NPD Group will be reporting weekly point-of-sale results for key general merchandise categories tracked by the company throughout the holiday season. Categories included in the NPD “Holiday Shopping Bag” include Apparel, Toys, Technology, Athletic Footwear, and Prestige Fragrances.*
“The Census Bureau has reported improved retail sales with revisions to August and September, and October exceeded expectations with 0.8 percent growth. NPD sees some categories showing signs of getting an early start for the holiday,” said Chief Industry Analyst Marshal Cohen.
Using real POS information, NPD is able to look at critical sales trends in order to report what consumers are actually purchasing during the holiday period and when they are purchasing enabling manufacturers and retailers to see what’s hot and what’s not as well as to understand the new cadence of holiday.
Week Ending November 5, 2016
- Dollar sales in the first week of November 2016 were 7 percent lower than they were in the first week of November 2015, driven by declines in both unit sales and the average price paid.
- Technology is the largest segment but also has the largest declines from last year.
- Prestige Fragrances are up slightly.
- While dollar sales of toys were down slightly compared to last year, more items were purchased.
Top Performing Categories
- Sport Leisure Shoes (Classics)
- Games & Puzzles
- Home Automation
- Stereo Headphones
- Outdoor & Sports Toys
“The season appears to be off to a sluggish start, in general, with technology and apparel at the top of the watch list, but the recent economic strength points to more positive results on the way,” said Cohen. “Promotions are kicking in earlier this year so sales may turn around quickly, especially for these top holiday segments.”
* Information is collected from a panel of leading retailers that provide weekly point-of-sale data covering in-store and online sales.