NPD Highlights: The Evolution of Play
Children are driven most by what their friends are doing when it comes to the play products they want, but parents rely on a broader resource than what their friends are saying, according to the Evolution of Play 2014 report from The NPD Group, Inc.
Factors Influencing Child’s Desire for Play Products, % among parents with child age 2-12
- What their friends are doing (51%)
- What they see advertised on TV (49%)
- What they see in a brick & mortar store (44%)
- What they see on television show (40%)
- What they see in movies they watch (24%)
Sources of Pre-Purchase Research, % among parents with child age 2-12 who engage in pre-purchase research
- Product reviews on retailer websites (62%)
- Asking my friends and other moms/dads (37%)
- Product reviews on other websites (34%)
- Product reviews from industry experts (31%)
- Information on toy company websites (29%)
“The increased comfort level with online shopping also creates an expanded network for parents,” said Juli Lennett, president of the Toys division at The NPD Group. “When a child makes an immediate request for something they just saw on TV or walking through a store, the parent can almost instantly access input from other parents with just a few clicks. Providing an easy to access trusted resource for parents to get real feedback on your product is as important as getting the attention of a child.”
The NPD Group, Inc.
900 West Shore Road
Port Washington, NY 11050
Checkout TrackingSM provides detailed information on consumer buying behavior, based on receipts for both online and brick-and-mortar retail purchases from the same consumers over time. Checkout Tracking delivers precise category, brand, and item-level purchase detail linked to buyers and their demographics, useful for analyzing competitive market baskets and identifying purchase patterns. Information is collected from more than 50,000 consumers from NPD’s receipt-harvesting mobile phone app and the scanning of more than 4 million in-boxes for e-receipts through Slice Intelligence.