• Print
Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

The Majority Of Toy Buyers Know What Toy They Are Going To Purchase And Where They Are Going To Purchase It

Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)
Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

Retailers at Risk of Losing Toy Buyers When Toys Are Not Available in Their Stores

Port Washington, NY, December 08, 2010 - According to Toy Purchase Decisions, the latest report from leading market research company, The NPD Group, the majority of toy purchases are planned (62 percent), with buyers setting out knowing what toy and/or where they were going to purchase. More than three-quarters of buyers (77 percent) who made a planned purchase said they knew specifically where they wanted to shop.

In terms of toy availability within a retail store, 42 percent of toy purchasers looking for a specific toy said they would look for that toy in a different store, and 9 percent would look online to purchase it if the toy they were looking for was not available. Only 22 percent of buyers claim they would look for a different product in the same store.

"The fact that there is less substitution of another item if the original item isn't found is a real wake-up call for retailers," said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group. "Picking the right product selection and then managing the inventory to keep those items in stock is more important than ever before."

On the flip side, 38 percent of toy purchases were not planned, with 70 percent of those unplanned purchases coming from on-the-spot impulse decisions made by the toy buyer. The remaining 30 percent were made because either the buyer was coerced into the purchase by a child (21 percent), or they remembered they needed to buy a toy after they were already in the store (9 percent). And while a child's request for a toy is a key driver for unplanned purchases, pricing is the primary motivator to purchase.

"Of all unplanned purchases, 91 percent are truly purchased on impulse," said Frazier. "This points to the importance of in-store support such as signage, price reductions and packaging. Pricing is utmost in the decision to make an impulse purchase with the child nag-factor being the second most important influencer, making in-store presence key to assisting these types of purchases."

According to the report, planned purchases result in higher price points than unplanned purchases (average price of planned purchases is 1.5 times higher than unplanned). Some of this may be driven by the types of categories that buyers look for during planned purchases. For example, categories with the highest price points, Building Sets and Youth Electronics, are two of the categories most likely to be planned. "Planned purchases are more important to overall toy sales than ever before," said Frazier. "For manufacturers, this means that generating direct to consumer awareness through advertising, promotion and PR is critical to driving items on to wish-lists and influencing the 'nag factor.' "

Methodology
An online survey was fielded to a pre-identified sample of toy buyers who had previously reported the purchase of a toy via the NPD Consumer Toy Tracker (from March 2010 through early July 2010). The topical survey was fielded from August 27 - September 3, 2010. There are 3,282 total respondents in the 2010 final data. The data has not been weighted to any particular population. This study will allow for a super-category level analysis of the data and includes between 63 and 415 purchasers in each of the super-categories included in this study.

Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)
Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)
Fill out this form to learn more!
Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)
Error

Error

Something went wrong - Please report this problem to the portal administrator.

Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)
Subscribe to email alerts from The NPD Group Blog and more.
Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

Recent Press Releases

December 4, 2013

The NPD Group Launches ReceiptPal Mobile App for iPhone

Consumers Earn Rewards for Sending Receipts Directly from their iPhones PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, ...

Read More
November 25, 2013

Men’s Fragrance Leads the Way in the US and UK

The NPD Group reports juices and gift sets are driving growth in the US and Europe Port Washington,...

Read More
November 6, 2013

One Out of Three Holiday Shoppers Will Start Shopping Before Thanksgiving

New Study Uncovers the Anatomy of the Early Holiday Shopper PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, November 6, ...

Read More